Bloggers Association Of Kenya (BAKE)
Dedan Kimathi University Of Technology Chapter Constitution.
We the members of the BAKE Dedan Kimathi University Chapter in order to nurture student welfare; promote online content creation; enhance physical, cultural and social welfare; to ingrain in the students body, as individuals and as a unit, the realization of their responsibilities to themselves and fellow human beings and to foster, defend and protect the rights of the members do hereby ordain and establish this constitution.
The name of this organization shall be Bloggers Association Of Kenya Dedan Kimathi University Chapter.(herein referred to as BAKE-DeKUT Chapter.)
Promote online content creation in the university.
Increase the diversity in variety and quality of online content.
Provide a medium for students to interact and share ideas.
Encourage student involvement in writing.
To improve representation of BAKE outside Nairobi.
Article 3- objectives.
In order to fulfill its objectives, the chapter shall do or join in doing all such things as are incidental or conducive to the pursuit or attainment of the purpose provided in Article 2.
The chapter will participate in
University blog awards.
The chapter shall be an affiliate of the Bloggers Association of Kenya (BAKE)
Membership shall be recruited without discrimination on the basis of ethnic background, race, sex, gender, disability, age, sexual orientation, political, veteran or religious affiliation/status. . Compliance with these law means that membership, benefits, and the election of officers will not be made on the basis of these factors.
Must be a student of Dedan Kimathi University of Technology.
Must pay a membership fee of Ksh500.The fee shall however be revised in future with prior communication given to all BAKE Chapter Officials.
Must be of good moral conduct and integrity.
Article 6-Officers and Terms of Office
The President presides at all meetings of the association and executive board. It is the responsibility of the Chair to conduct all meetings impartially and to protect each member’s rights. Other responsibilities should be listed in this section such as:
1. Shall open meetings at the time at which the Chapter is to meet by taking the chair and calling the meeting to order.
2. Shall announce the business before the members in the order in which it is to be acted upon.
3. Shall state and put to vote all questions which are regularly moved or necessarily arise in the course of the proceedings, and announce the result of the vote.
4. Shall restrain the members when engaged in debate.
5. Shall enforce on all occasions the observance of order and decorum among the members, deciding all questions of order and to inform the assembly/meeting when necessary on a point of order.
6. Shall be objective on issues before the assembly/meeting, but may sometimes call the Vice-Chair to take the chair so (s)he can take part in debate.
7. (S)he can vote in order to break a tie and shall be able to veto all motions approved by the organization. However, the organization/chapter can override the Chairperson’s veto with three-fourths (3/4) affirmative votes.
8. Shall enforce the observance of this Constitution.
9. Shall authenticate by his/her signature when necessary all acts, orders and proceedings of the organization and in general shall represent the organization, declaring its will in all things and obeying its commands.
10. Shall be an ex-officio member of all, standing and ad hoc, committees.
11. Shall have other responsibilities, powers and duties as may be assigned to their position by this constitution, the BAKE national Office, the Campus Office of under which it is formed and any policies of the school.
The Vice-Chairperson shall assume the powers, duties and responsibilities of the Chair in the absence of the Chair. Other responsibilities should be listed in this section such as:
1. Shall serve as the ex-officio of all standing committees.
2. Shall chair the Election Committee.
3. In absence of the Chair, shall preside and perform the Chair’s duties.
4. Shall assume the responsibilities and powers of the Chair, should that office become vacant.
5. Shall have full voting power unless presiding as Chair.
6. Shall enforce the observance of this Constitution.
7. Shall have other responsibilities, powers and duties as may be assigned to their position by this constitution, the BAKE national Office, the Campus Office of under which it is formed and any policies of the school.
The main duty of the secretary is to keep the records, or “minutes,” of the meetings of the organization. The secretary’s minutes are the official record of the organization and should contain only the actual business transacted. In addition, the secretary must issue notices of meetings, have official copies of the by-laws, constitution and official files, and provide the Chair with a list of postponed motions and unfinished business. Other responsibilities should be listed in this section such as:
1. Shall take accurate minutes (or records) of all the association meetings, general and emergency, and elections, votes, etc that occur within the organization.
2. Shall chair the Constitution Committee to annually review the constitution of the organization.
3. Shall be responsible for taking roll call. The attendance shall be accurately kept in a record book.
4. Shall record the name of the maker of a motion and the results of a vote.
5. Shall take charge of all documents belonging to the organization.
6. Shall call a meeting to order in the absence of the Chair and Vice-Chair and to preside until the election of a Chairperson pro-tem, which shall take place immediately.
7. Shall have a list of all officers and representatives, notifying the members of meetings.
8. Shall conduct all correspondence as directed.
9. Shall read important correspondence at all meetings.
10. Shall keep an accurate account of all correspondences.
11. Shall enforce the observance of this Constitution.
13. Shall have other responsibilities, powers and duties as may be assigned to their position by this constitution, the BAKE national Office, the Campus Office of under which it is formed and any policies of the school.
The treasurer is the “custodian” of the organization’s funds. The treasurer shall be authorized to pay the bills of the Chapter and should draft monthly and annual statements (the latter of which should be audited).Other responsibilities should be listed in this section such as:
1. Shall be the custodian of the Chapter’s funds and shall properly handle all organization funds.
2. Shall keep an accurate record of all transactions.
3. Shall advise the Chapter of financial position to them, such as funding and constitutional policy.
4. Shall enforce the observance of this Constitution.
5. Shall have other responsibilities, powers and duties as may be assigned to their position by this constitution, the BAKE national Office, the Campus Office of under which it is formed and any policies of the school.
Article 7-Terms of Office
An officer shall serve one full academic year, with elections to take place at the end of the first semester.
If an office is to become vacant due to impeachment, resignation, graduation or completion of an Officer’s term, the election committee has the power to hold an election to fill the vacant position so as not to interfere with the workings of the chapter. The person appointed to fill a vacant position must be duely elected by a majority vote.
Every candidate for or office holder of the Chapter shall maintain the following minimum requirements:
A. Shall be a registered, currently enrolled post/undergraduate student.
B. To be eligible to run for the office of Chairperson of the organization, the candidate must have been a member for at least one academic year in the organization
C. Shall comply with all of the election rules and requirements of this Constitution and its bylaws and the Election Committee of the organization.
Article 9-Executive Committee
The elected officers of the organization form the executive.The Executive shall be the administrative unit of the Chapter.
All chapter meetings are mandatory for all members.
The meetings will be conducted on every Thursday at 4.30pm at the school of business Rm. 11
A. Absences are defined as failures to attend general meetings and failure to attend sponsored events for which a member has agreed to participate.
B. Absences may be excused due to illness, emergency work schedules, make-up exams, tests, representing the Campus at another administrative function, or any other unavoidable emergency situation; subject to the Chairperson’s prerogative.
C. Only three (3) unexcused absences shall be allowed per semester.
D. Violations of clauses “B” and /or “C” above will result in immediate termination of office only after a fair hearing of the Chapter.
Article 11- Committees
For purposes of operating the blog,there shall be an editorial committee which shall consist of not more that 7 members headed by a Head Editor.The editorial
For purposes of effective management of the Chapter, the Chairperson shall have the power to establish special committees to carry out various tasks. The term of such a committee shall come to an end upon completion of the task.
The Chapter shall use registration fee from members to carry out activities that require finance to run.
The chapter shall also welcome external funding.
For a meeting to commence, the number of members present shall be at least fifty percent of the members plus one.
Article14-Order of Business
The agenda format for a meeting shall be as follows:
A. Call to Order and ascertainment of a quorum
B. Secretary’s Report
Distribution of the Minutes, Attendance and Approval of Communications
C. Approval of the Agenda
D. Chairperson’s Report
The Chapter shall pick an advisor from the university’s faculty.
Attend meetings of the Chapter, and assisting in their organization and planning of projects, and refining their program to a point where they are effective and realistic
Advising the Chapter on making their budgets and establishing their schedules
Attending events to support the Chapter
Informing University community of the Chapter’s Program
Serving as a source of information.